With over 20 years professional proofreading experience I offer thorough proofreading services to businesses throughout the country.
- Proofreading on screen or on paper – using BSI standard proofreading marks, your own system or comment boxes or tags.
- Blind proofreading author prepared styled documents according to your brief and style guides.
- Collation services – liaising between authors, copy-editors and proofreaders and collating comments and changes into one working document.
You’ve had your text edited at an early stage and it has been through several processes since then. You are finally ready for print/distribution but would like a final check for reassurance that no errors have slipped in.
Proofreading checks will include:
- Is your use of grammar, punctuation and spelling correct? e.g. is there a mix of UK and US spelling?
- Have styles been used consistently – e.g. heading styles, use of italics and capitals?
- Is the text complete or are bits missing?
- If you mention another part of the book is it where you have said it will be in the text? – e.g. see page 14 for more information on…
Proofreading does not include editing the text if your text requires editing please see my copy-editing page.
Proofreading explained and what you can expect
In essence proofreading is the careful reading (and re-reading) of a (yet to be finally-printed) document, in order to detect any errors in spelling, punctuation or grammar. In some circumstances it may also involve the checking of different elements of a layout (such as headlines, paragraphs, illustrations and colours for their correct dimensions, placement, type, etc). Every author knows that (despite the spelling checking abilities of modern word processors) a human proofreader is indispensable.
With over 20 years professional experience, I provide exceptional proofreading services to clients around the world.
To discuss your proofreading needs
Call Claire today on 07752 006 312
I have over 20 years of experience in the publishing industry, offering freelance copy-editing and proofreading services since 2004. I provide professional proofreading services for clients around the world. My clients include publishers, self-publishers, charities, local organisations, large and small businesses.
I am an advanced professional member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) and was trained in house at Ashgate Publishing with additional training at the Publishing Training Centre. The SfEP guide to using an editor or proofreader is available here https://www.sfep.org.uk/about/faqs/using-copy-editors-and-proofreaders/